Friday, February 4, 2011

Goodwill Gold

Last week I drove to Topeka to check out what the local Goodwill and Salvation Army had to offer.  I struck out at the SA, but found just what I needed at Goodwill.  I was searching for a hutch or buffet for our breakfast nook.  It's a pretty large space and we needed something else in there besides our breakfast table.  I previously looked for something at local furniture stores and online at PB and West Elm, but everything I liked was dark wood--just like every piece of furniture we own (not to mention it was all $800+).  I ended up finding this beauty at Goodwill:


How sweet ... they left some Christmas bows in there.  


It was really dirty and dusty--especially on the inside.  After cleaning it and removing the hardware, I spayed it with Kilz Primer.  I have to once again give props to Peyton for teaching me everything I know about spray painting furniture.  


 I gave it another coat of Kilz since I would be painting it white.


Between coats of primer, I took a break to spray the hardware.  I stuck the nails in a box to spray the tops of them (again, something I learned from P).  I used Krylon's Champagne Nouveau.  Sorry, forgot to take a picture of the painted hardware.  You're not missing anything here.  Then I sprayed the entire hutch in Heirloom White.  I wasn't crazy with the results and ran to Wal-Mart to pick up two cans of Krylon Bright White.  All of our molding is white and Heirloom White looked too yellow to me. 

Then I took a block of 3M's fine sandpaper and sanded all of the edges to give it a distressed look.  Kylie turned me onto Shanty 2 Chic where she walks you through how to distress furniture.  It was really easy.  I didn't go too crazy since this was my first piece to do.  

Here's the finished result:





I had to work around my table, which is why everything looks a little crooked.  

Hutch was $38 + $20 for supplies (would have been cheaper had I not changed my mind about the color) = $58 total.  Now what to put on it?  Suggestions?  

1 comment: