Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's a Wrap

While watching the drama unfold on the Bachelor and browsing blogs last Monday, I came across a couple of projects made with jute rope.  I loved both of these projects instantly.  Check them out:


The jute ampersand is from Inspired Crafts.  Isn't it adorable?


And this lamp is made by the girls at Shanty2Chic.

I looked around my house for something to wrap in jute.  I found this in my guest bedroom.  My mom gave it to me a few years ago.  I think it was the centerpiece at an event she attended.  


Then I went to Hobby Lobby to hunt down some jute.  Naturally the HL in our town doesn't carry jute.  If you live in the city, don't take for granted the nice big selection you have in your HL.  I ended up buying a spool of hemp (yes, hemp) to use instead.  I only used about 1/3 of the spool, so I will be making hemp necklaces for everyone at Christmas.  You can thank me later.  


I used a glue gun and started at the bottom, then slowly worked my way up.





Doesn't it look like jute?  It also looks like a mummy.  So I added a few more things.


I glued some ribbon around it and then out of some scrap fabric, I cut out five four petal flowers.  I just traced a pattern on the back of the fabric and cut.  Then I stacked them different ways, glued them to my mummy and glued a rhinestone in the middle.  I'll be sure to pick up some jute next time I'm in the city!    


2 comments:

  1. You are killing me with all these projects and talent! I really look forward to seeing what you are going to do next! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So will your next post be the "hemp brownie" recipe?
    I have been wrapping wine bottles and vases in twine, rope, and/or burlap. You can get twine and thin rope at the hardware store girl! I think a whole collection of different size bottles would be cool...and don't act like you aren't burning through the wine bottles in the middle of nowhere :)

    ReplyDelete