Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Australia - Food & Drinks

I spent five amazing days in Sydney with my brother and his family.  One of the best things about the trip was all of the eating and drinking we did.  Here are a few of the highlights:


This beer caught my attention at the first "bottle shop" we visited.  Most six packs of beer go for $15.50 in downtown Sydney.  At the time of my visit, $1 US was just about the same as $1 Australian.  


This was our pizza at Lowenbrau Keller--a Munich-style restaurant in the Rocks area.  This pizza was amazing.  It was covered in "rocket" (arugula) with parmesan and topped with sun dried tomatoes.  We each had a Radler, which is a lager with lemonade.  Delicious.


We spent a day wine tasting in Hunter Valley.  It's about two hours outside the city.  Ernest Hill was one of my favorite wineries.  It was my first wine tour and I was a bit surprised by the flavor wheel they passed around on the bus just before our first tasting.  Apparently some wines can have hints of tar, petroleum, and tobacco.  But we didn't taste any of those wines....


While on the wine tour, we did spot a kangaroo out in the wild.  It was hanging around behind the winery.  If you squint a little, you can see him in the middle of the picture.  

My favorite restaurant in Sydney was actually Din Tai Fung.  It was so good, we went twice in five days.  Vic & Jenn had eaten at the one in Taiwan.  Unfortunately the only two locations in the US are in Seattle and LA.  They are known for their steamed pork dumplings.  Excuse the picture quality, these were taken with my phone.

   
Pork dumplings you dip in a combination of vinegar and soy sauce.  


Fried rice - I thought it was interesting that they added corn and didn't load it up with soy sauce.  We also had steamed spinach with garlic, and hot & sour soup.  Everything we ate there was amazing.  Wish we had one in Kansas!  

I'll post more pictures of the trip later this week.  





  



1 comment: