Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December Post

I thought I should have at least one blog post this month.  Lately I have been distracted by Christmas shopping, Christmas cards, Christmas music, Christmas cookies, the giant tin of popcorn from our neighbors that only I have been eating, and a stomach virus that Hudson kept around for four days.  Luckily he was selfish with his virus and didn't share it with the rest of the family.  

As Christmas nears, I decided to introduce the boys to something I have always loved ... gingerbread houses.  I'm not going to shape and bake gingerbread for the house (who has the time?) so I bought a package of graham crackers.  I made the rookie mistake of buying store brand and finding out they were squares of graham crackers and not the large rectangles that come in the Honey Maid box.  Rather than running back to the store, I made it work.  I used a glue gun (because icing was not going to cut it) and assembled four different houses.  Then we invited our friends Riley and Kingston over to help decorate them.  


The house on the far right turned out so small, I added a dog house as a bonus.  


Landon helped make the icing.  I found the recipe here.


We set out sprinkles and candy


Of course we had to have these.  I thought I liked them ... but then tasted them.  Has anyone tried these lately?  These were labeled as "spiced gum drops" and they tasted like black licorice.  I nearly gagged.


Kingston was all about the sprinkles.  The pink and blue dots still wedged between my hardwoods will always be a great reminder of the night.


Riley had a thing for the icing


Landon just wanted to eat the candy.  One for the house, one for Landon ... 

And here is how the houses turned out:


Riley's pink and green A Frame


Landon's top heavy pentagon replica.  I wish I had a picture of this house from the top down.  You would be impressed with my graham cracker square assembling abilities.  


Hudson's minimalist cathedral.  


Kingston's snow covered cottage and dog house.  

After eating a pound of candy  putting together the houses, I introduced the kids to my favorite Christmas tradition, the Nutcracker.  It was the NYC Ballet version on PBS.  All of the kids got into it--even the boys. 





Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Finally!!! It is hard to stay obsessed with you when you aren't here. Oh and you've got some 'splainin' to do about that blk & wht chevron near the talbe. Who? What? Why? When? Where? Great pics, love the wrapped boards for assembling on...way to go the extra mile :)

    ReplyDelete