Monday, January 16, 2012

From Jayhawk to Powercat

Our family just celebrated our one year anniversary in Kansas.  Since the day we moved here we have been Jayhawk fans.  It's hard not to cheer for the Hawks in this town.  Everywhere you go you see people wearing KU gear and they sell KU shirts and hats in every store.  However, when we found out that Kansas State was going to play in the Cotton Bowl, Steve rushed out and bought us KSU t-shirts.  How quickly we converted to Powercat fans--especially when we found out we were going to the Cotton Bowl. 

Two days before we left for the Cotton Bowl, Steve sent me our agenda.  I had hopes of seeing old friends and going to Northpark Mall, but that clearly was not going to happen.  We barely had time to rush back to our hotel room to change clothes for the next event.  And thankfully my mom agreed to come to Lawrence to watch H & L so we didn't have to drag them along with us (thank you, Diane!).  

We started out the Thursday before the game at a lunch with the players and coaches at the Anatole Hotel.  US Senator Jerry Moran and his sweet wife Robba joined us.  It was our first time meeting a US Senator and he was just as nice and as down-to-earth as can be.  While lunching, we heard this guy speak:


That's K-State's football coach, Bill Snyder.  And we saw this guy:


That is not Brad Sham, it's Collin Klein, K-State's QB.  We saw Brad Sham too (voice of the Dallas Cowboys) and some professional football players ... but of course I couldn't tell you who they were.  Steve would cringe right now if he read this. 

After the lunch and a quick change at the hotel, we went to dinner and had these:



I miss the south.  

Friday was game day and we started out at Joe T Garcia's in Ft. Worth for a fundraiser for Senator Moran.  Then we headed back to the Gaylord for a quick change and then off to the Deathstar   Jerry's World  Cowboy Stadium for the tailgate.  I did something at the tailgate I have never done before ... armadillo racing!  We had to hold the armadillo down until they blew the whistle.  Then we let it go and stomped our feet behind it to get it to the finish line first.  My armadillo came in second place.


That's me on the right.  You can see my armadillo running away from me in the bottom right hand corner of the photo.  


Steve also took a turn at armadillo racing with his Arkansas counterpart. 

While tailgating, we saw a giant bus park in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart across the street.  This is what emerged:


The entire Arkansas band!  I'm not sure if that's ironic or a coincidence, but I loved it.

Once inside for the game I ran into this girl:


We also saw our other neighbors and friends Amanda and Lara.  We only had a few minutes to catch up, but it was so fun to see them there.

Kylie and I also had our picture taken with Gov Brownback.  He was such a good sport about posing with an Arkansas fan.


I had a couple of celebrity sightings while at the game.  I was walking to the bathroom and walked right past The Band Perry.  I was also standing outside Eric Stonestreet's suite when he came out to go to the bar.  He was quickly mobbed by other fans so I didn't get a picture.  But I did get a picture with this guy:


It was a crazy and fun weekend.  Arkansas played a great game and K-State gave it their best shot.  Steve and I count our blessings that we are so lucky to be able to do things like this while he's in this job.  We are not taking one single second of it for granted.  

We returned home on Saturday and were so happy to see these guys:


They spent four days at Camp Grammy and had a great time.  Thanks again, mom!

One more thing, I have some new game day items that I've been working on.  Since this post has been about K-State I have to share one of them.


I love a maxi skirt and will be creating more for other schools.  I should have some in my Etsy store by the end of the month.  














1 comment:

  1. Y'all are living the life. You're pretty much famous now. hehe. Seriously, looks like a great trip! I love the home depot pictures of the boys. Put 'em to work early :)

    ReplyDelete