Monday, February 20, 2012

Introducing a New Vegetable

I introduced my family to a new vegetable this week.  To the kids I called it spaghetti and I certainly didn't mention that it was a vegetable.  I have been coming across recipes for spaghetti squash on Pinterest and in magazines lately and have never cooked with one.  So I picked one up at the grocery store and gave it a go.

I put the squash in a large and covered it with water.  This was difficult because they float--but put enough water in the pot so that if you pushed it to the bottom of the pot, it would be covered.  Then  bring the water to a boil, cover it, and turn down the heat.  I boiled my squash for about 45 minutes.  My squash was a medium size, so you might need to boil a large squash for an hour.  Then you take the squash out, let it cool and slice it in half.


Scoop out the seeds in the middle.  Then take a fork and scrape out the inside into a bowl.  


You can eat spaghetti squash plain, but I recommend adding a few things to it.  I turned mine into grilled artichoke spaghetti squash.  I heated two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet with two cloves of garlic and several of these grilled artichoke hearts.  I found mine at World Market.

It's hard to tell, but this is the contents of my skillet:


You can mix it up and use sun-dried tomatoes, onions, capers, tomatoes, olives, or whatever you have on hand.  Then pour the contents of your skillet into your bowl of squash and toss.  I also added some parsley (any fresh herbs would be great) and some parmesan. 



I thought it was so tasty and Steve liked it too.  I'm not going to lie, the boys didn't love it.  But they did eat it.  It was super easy and fairly fast. 

I have to apologize for the pictures.  Like I said before, most food I photograph comes out looking inedible.  But this really was tasty!

1 comment:

  1. You managed to make this look (sound) pretty darn good. I tried this years ago and forgot about it but might try it again soon. Thanks again for the tips!

    ReplyDelete