Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy 2013!

I hope everybody had a great Christmas and New Years!  We spent our holiday time down in Texas, splitting the holiday between Steve's family and my family.  We had such a great time.  I would share pictures from our trip, but I have yet to load them into iphoto.

We recently had the pleasure of updating our four year old Mac (which I'm told is really old in computer years).  Steve got a new ipad and it wasn't compatible with our current itunes software.  And we couldn't update itunes without updating our operating system.  Don't I sound smart?  So we had to take EVERYTHING off the laptop.  Every picture, every document, every single song.  And we had lots of songs.  The good thing about the entire process is that we had to sift through all of our music and pictures and finally realized that we are never going to play Ace of Bases's second album.  Or their first one.  So those both got deleted.  Not sure why we had them in the first place.  But now we have a very clean and much faster Mac.  So in lieu of a mini Christmas album of my family (since we have zero pictures on our computer), I'm recommending some books I recently read.  I'm going in order of must read to read if you have time.


If you haven't read Gone Girl already, then you must put down whatever you're doing (once you finish reading this blog post) and go buy it, check out from the library, download it, etc.  Just get it and read it.  You will not be able to put it down.  It's a little dark and twisted, but you won't see it coming.



If you liked Gone Girl, pick up Gillian Flynn's second novel, Dark Places.  It's even more twisted than Gone Girl and had me cringing at certain parts.  But it's a page-turner and you won't be able to put this one down either. 


I didn't actually read Unbroken, but listened to it in the car on our trip to Texas.  It was phenomenal.  We put off bathroom breaks, just to listen to another chapter.  It's about an Olympic track star that is drafted during World War II and his plane goes down in the Pacific.  Historic novels aren't usually my thing, but trust me, this book is fantastic.  


My friend Marissa turned me onto this book.  The Immortal Life of Henretta Lacks is about the woman whose cancer cells were the first to ever grow and reproduce outside of her body.  The story revolves around her family who had no idea they even took Henrietta's cells, much less that her cells were being used to help cure cancer and AIDS.  Again, not normally my type of book, but it was a great read.


The Fault in our Stars is a sweet book about a 16 year old girl with cancer that meets a boy recovering from cancer in a cancer support group.  It sounds a little depressing, but it's a sweet story.  


I just finished reading Little Bee yesterday.  It was a hard book to read, but I'm glad I read it.  It's about a teenager from Nigeria that smuggles herself onto a boat going to England.  She is sent to a detention center for two years and then sets out on an adventure to meet a couple she met on a Nigerian beach years ago.  The main plot of the book revolves around their connection and story of how they met. 

If you have any book recommendations for me, please leave them in the comments!  I'm always looking for something new to read.   









No comments:

Post a Comment